October 31, 2008

My Miss Amy

Warning: Some of this post will be TMI for some of you. If so, Sorry that's the way life is.


I went in Thursday morning at 7am on the 23rd of October to have an elective inducement. I was 4 cm dilated and was started on pitocin. Dr came in and told me she would be back at 12pm to break my water. Every hour the nurse would come back in and up the pitocin. 12 pm came around and the Dr still hadn't come. The contractions were starting to become uncomfortable and I knew that as soon as she broke my water I was going to need that epidural. At 12:55 pm my water was broken and I was 5 cm dilated and 70 %. That very next contraction was unbearable. By 1:40 pm the epidural was in and I knew it was already going to work better than the epidural that I got with Denton (which didn't do anything but make my legs not work). At 3 pm I was 6cm, then at 4:10 pm I felt that pelvic pressure. The nurse checked me and I was 9 cm. She had me try pushing and said she would give me 10 minutes and check again. She also thought that I wouldn't push for very long. I didn't want to believe her because with Denton I pushed for 3 hours. Well I didn't even make it the full 10 minutes when the pressure was way intense. She checked me again and I was fully dilated and she was going to call the Dr and start setting up. By that point I really wanted to push, but knew if I did if the baby came out Russell would be the only one in the room to catch the baby, so I had to resist the urge. When they were pulling things out of the hidden room they asked if I wanted the mirror. I said I didn't know, that's when Russell said If she was in her right mind she would want it. So they pulled it out. The Dr finally came into the room and my mind was settled that she would be able to catch the baby. I started pushing at around 4:30pm, I looked in the mirror once and saw the head coming out and it was only like the 3rd push. That motivated me to push harder and faster. Amy came out at 4:41pm and was put directly on me. I love that feeling when there is a moving thing on top of you and no longer inside you. This pregnacy was harder then Denton's but the delivery was much better and shorter than Denton's.

Here are some pictures of our hospital experience.

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

She is so beautiful! I am so glad you didn't have to wait any longer for her to come and I'm glad the labor was pretty decent in terms of how labor can be. Congrats!!!

Erin said...

Your first sentence made me laugh! I totally agree with you. Congrats! I am so glad everything went well and she is a cutie!

korth fam said...

Hooray for baby Amy and Mommy! Way to go! I'm so glad it all went so well! We are so excited to meet her! I felt the urge to push a lot more with Aly too, it's cuz we're old pros at this having babies stuff!!

The Byington's said...

You looked awesome, for having delivered, your smiling, and look fine! Amy is so cute, I like your little family picture, so fun!